Newcastle City Council
Newcastle City Council is the local government authority for the city and metropolitan borough of Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, North East England. The council consists of 78 councillors, three for each of the city's 26 wards. It is currently controlled by The Labour Party, led by Councillor Nick Forbes. Councillor David Cook serves as the Lord Mayor and Councillor Habib Rahman serves as Deputy Lord Mayor and Sheriff. The council is a member of the North of Tyne Combined Authority.
Newcastle City Council
Cllr David Cook, Labour
since 22 May 2019
Leader of the Council
Cllr Joyce McCarty, Labour
Leader of the Opposition
since January 2013
|Seats||78 (40 needed for a majority)|
|North of Tyne Combined Authority|
Length of term
|First past the post|
|3 May 2018|
|6 May 2021|
|Newcastle Civic Centre, Barras Bridge, Newcastle upon Tyne|
Elections are held by thirds, in three years out of four. 2004 saw boundary changes and all seats were up for re-election. Similarly, following boundary changes, all seats were up for re-election in 2018. Three councillors represent each of the 26 wards in the city and usually are elected for a 4-year term.
Newcastle has 26 electoral wards. Each electoral ward has three councillors, representing and elected exclusively by the voting population of each ward. Following an electoral review in 2016, the current wards and boundaries were introduced in May 2018.
List of electoral wardsEdit
- Arthur's Hill
- Benwell and Scotswood
- Callerton and Throckley
- Dene and South Gosforth
- Denton and Westerhope
- Fawdon and West Gosforth
- Kingston Park South and Newbiggin Hall
- Manor Park
- North Jesmond
- South Jesmond
- West Fenham
- Councillor Nick Forbes – Leader of the Council
- Councillor Joyce McCarty – Deputy Leader of the Council and Cabinet member for Resources
- Councillor Paula Holland – Cabinet member for Education and Skills
- Councillor Ged Bell – Cabinet member for Employment and Culture
- Councillor John-Paul Stephenson – Cabinet member for Environmental and Regulatory Services
- Councillor Karen Kilgour – Cabinet member for Health and Social Care
- Councillor Linda Hobson – Cabinet member for Housing
- Councillor Arlene Ainsley – Cabinet member for Transport and Air Quality
- Councillor Irim Ali - Cabinet member for Neighbourhoods and Public Health
- Councillor Clare Penny-Evans – Cabinet member for Climate Change and Communities
|Thomas Daniel Smith||1959–1965||Labour|
|Peter Arnold||2004–2006||Liberal Democrats|
|Nick Forbes||2011 – present||Labour|
For a list of past Mayors and Lord Mayors see List of Lord Mayors of Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
- "Leader of the Council - Newcastle City Council". www.newcastle.gov.uk.
- "Lord Mayor of Newcastle". www.newcastle.gov.uk. Newcastle City Council. Retrieved 16 April 2020.
- "My Neighbourhood - My Neighbourhood". community.newcastle.gov.uk.
- "Electoral Review | Newcastle City Council". Government of the United Kingdom. Retrieved 11 June 2017.